Saturday, October 18, 2008

YES on FF to Upgrade Berkeley's Branch Libraries

My family uses Berkeley libraries a lot. And even if we didn't, libraries are a public good: my life is better when lots of people of all incomes have free access to books. I'm most familiar with the West and South branch libraries (including the Tool Lending library, such a cool thing!). They are not decrepit, but they could definitely use an upgrade.

So I was ready to vote yes, but I figured I should consider the opposing arguments.

The opponents claim that many people from outside Berkeley use the library may be true, but so what? Do these opponents want to charge people to use the library if they can't prove Berkeley residency? I've used libraries in a dozen cities while I've lived in Berkeley. Kim's aunt (from San Mateo) often take our kids to the library when she babysits. That's what it means to be a public good.

I might have been more receptive to the opponents' concerns about ongoing growth in library spending. But I don't trust anything they say: see my writeup of measure HH for an explanation.

Since this bond carries a property tax increase with it, it is financially responsible from a budgeting perspective and presents you with a clear choice:

If you think improving the branch libraries is worth about $27/year (more if your house is worth more), join me and Vote YES on FF. If not, vote no with a clear conscience. But don't use the ballot arguments as justification.

No comments: