Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dotson for EBRPD Director Ward 1

I'm familiar with both Norm LaForce and Whitney Dotson through my work.

I met Dotson when we both worked for Contra Costa Health Services, where he gained respect for helping develop the North Richmond Center for Health. Our paths have crossed a few times since then. He would bring a strong interest in connecting the parks district to low-income neighborhoods, such as the ones where he has been so involved in Richmond. He would bring connections to public health and to getting youth involved. He would be the only African-American on the parks district board. And from my experience, he works well with other people.

LaForce has been very active and had leadership roles in the Sierra Club. I know him mostly by reputation, but we've crossed paths some. He is more of a classic environmentalist, focused on protecting open space. His legal skills, experience developing the fire management program, and previous experience as an elected official (in El Cerrito) would be helpful. But I would worry a bit that his style - a bit brusque and abrasive for my taste - could hamper his effectiveness on the board.

I like Dotson more on issues and style, LaForce more for administrative and technical experience. I plan to vote for Dotson, but I could be convinced otherwise.

No comments: