Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Laurie Capitelli for City Council, District 5, Berkeley

Hahn's vision for downtown is for little change; "low-density, scaled back" is how a Chronicle article puts it. That's not what we need. We need more opportunities for people to live and work in downtown Berkeley. Hahn's got great credentials and vision for the schools - maybe she should run for school board.

Capitelli's vision comes closer to mine, although I'm not sure how strong his commitment is to affordable rental housing (he praises affordable ownership, but we need both). But he seems sensible, paying attention to the nitty-gritty details that make a city work. For example, he's put a priority on safer streets for pedestrians and done good things. And I hear from a trusted source that "he's an intelligent, thoughtful Councilmember who tries to fashion reasonable solutions -- even if I don't always agree with those solutions." I'll take that for District 5.

On endorsements, can anyone explain why both candidates sought endorsements from former State School Superintendent Delaine Eastin? Or why Hahn seems to think she's the most important, listing her first? Capitelli's endorsements include the Sierra Club, Mayor Bates, and five councilmembers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Sophie Hahn, but I do know Laurie, he is my across the street neighbor (30 plus years. He is a good guy, by what I can see he has been doing a good job.

Unknown said...

He has been my city council rep for 4 years and I haven't heard a word for him about anything. Until the election, then he got ahold of my email address to send me campaign updates. (He must have forgotten about his constituents south of Rose Street....). I am sure he is a nice guy, and frankly, this election contest has sharpened his focus and he will probably be more attentive to the job and less likely to take it for granted.

With regards to the development issue, so far the idea of increasing density in Berkeley has not built apartments that are family friendly.
And I haven't put too much stock in the endorsement thing in Berkeley ever since I realized how the endorsement process works for organizations as well as noticed that once one person endorses you every one else files into place so the status quo can be preserved.

There are many examples, but I notice on the campaign literature both Laurie and Tom detail improving the situation with UC Berkeley. The fact is they sued the the university (and backed down with a watered down agreement). How do you improve relationships by lawsuit? I also notice they take credit for the revived and revitalized arts/cultural downtown area which is a plan which was conceived and started more than 4 years ago.

I am voting for a fresh face on the council.