Tuesday, October 14, 2008

No on 8: Don't take away my sister's rights

I love Kim. We're married. My sister Emily loves Felicia. They're married.

Prop 8 would take away the rights of same-sex couples, such as my sister and new sister-in-law, to get married. But it would leave me, and other opposite-sex couples, with my rights. That is just plain not fair.

Prop 8's proponents have recently been filling the airwaves with false ads. Don't be fooled. The spring court decision recognizing the right to marriage has no affect on teaching children in our schools and will not affect our religions or religious institutions in any way.

California law specifically says that no child can be forced to be taught anything about health and family issues at school. And the spring court decision specifically said that “no religion will be required to change its religious policies or practices with regard to same-sex couples." For details, see a Sacramento Bee piece or rebuttals from the No on 8 campaign.

But Prop 8 would hurt families. Both of my sons have playmates who have two moms or two dads. Those families deserve the same rights my family has.

No one can tell you which church to attend, or what you can and cannot say. And no one should be able to tell you whom you can marry.

My wife and I got married to make a lifetime commitment to each other. And marriage gives us the right and responsibility for crucial medical decisions in an emergency. Please do not deny my sister that same security, dignity and respect.

Please join me in voting No on Prop 8 -- it's about fairness.

Please help defeat Prop 8. You can:

No comments: