Tuesday, October 30, 2012

November 2012 Summary of Recommendations

Here's my summary of recommendations for the November 2012 election. I've tried my best to put these in the order they'll appear on your ballot, based on how they show up in mine. If there's a race missing that you want more info on, post a comment!!

Federal & State
  • President, Senator, Congress, State Senate & Assembly: I'm voting the Democratic ticket. I like some of them (Obama, Lee, Hancock, Skinner) more than others (Feinstein).They're all going to win California or their respective districts, so I won't spend any time here debating their relative merits.
Nonpartisan Offices
State Propositions
Most important to me are Yes on 30 (fix the budget!), No on 32 (don't silence our voices), and Yes on 34 (replace the death penalty with justice that works!). Here's the full summary:
  • Yes on 30: Temporary State Budget Fix
  • No on 31:  Poorly Worked-Out Budget Reform
  • No on 32: Don't Silence Our Voices
  • No on 33: Billionaire #1: Manipulating the Insurance Market
  • Yes on 34: Justice That Works
  • No on 35: Human Trafficking Penalties
  • Yes on 36: Reform Three Strikes Law
  • Yes on 37: Support our Right to Know What We Eat
  • No on 38: Billionaire #2 with inadequate education funding
  • Yes on 39: Close Out-of-State Corporate Tax Loophole
  • Yes on 40: Approve Redistricting by Citizens Commission
Alameda County Measures:
City Nonpartisan Offices:
City of Berkeley Measures (I put these all together in one long post)
  • Yes on M: Berkeley Streets & Watershed Bond
  • Yes on N & O: Berkeley Pools Bond & Parcel Tax
  • Yes on P: Raise Gann Limit
  • Yes on Q: Modernize language for Utility Users Tax
  • Yes on R: Rational Redistricting
  • No on S: Wrong solution to a real nuisance
  • Yes on T: Approve city's Rezoning for West Berkeley
  • No on U: the Berkeley political gridlock ordinance
  • No on V: More gridlock, financial reporting style

6 comments:

Mac said...

Thank you so much for sharing, and I really like your analysis. I had the same picks on all the props except #39. I agree with your logic, but I think the bad (earmarking the funds for 5 years) outweighs the good (closing the loopholes).
Thanks!
Mac

Shannon said...

Now I know who to support for BART D7. I originally planned to allocate my votes for Oakland City Council D1 as you recommend but concerns about Amy from city employee friends and the Green Voter Guide have led me to put Dan #2 (plus I've known Dan for almost as long as I've lived in CA, and he's awesome). Thanks for your help!!

Anonymous said...

I just read today that Revecca Saltzman was a publicist for the Oakland Airport Connector. Maybe she sees the error of her ways now? Or it's just a smear by the Oakland Tribune?

Shannon said...

The Oak Tribune got that wrong. Rebecca worked very hard AGAINST the OAC. They corrected the info in their online version, I thought?

Jeff Hobson said...

Thanks, Mac! And thank you Shannon for correcting the mis-information on Rebecca Saltzman. She was a strong ally in the efforts to get BART to see the error of *its* ways on the Oakland Airport Connector. She'll be a great voice for reason on BART. Check out Trib article at http://goo.gl/zVjst.

Louise said...

Its also good to have if there is a recommendation for this year.

Philippine Senate Election by Inquirer