Monday, October 29, 2012

District 5 (Thousand Oaks): Laurie Capitelli


This is a rematch of the 2008 race, in which Laurie Capitelli beat challenger Sophie Hahn by about 5% of the vote. I endorsed Capitelli then and I was unimpressed by Hahn. In the past four years, I've become more confident that was the right choice. I had a chance to work with Mr. Capitelli very closely on Measure B1.  He proved himself to be a smart analyst, savvy political strategist, and a loyal ally. He fought hard for more funding for public transit and bicycle-pedestrian safety. In part due to his willingness to go to bat against suburban interests, we won changes that made it a better measure (I can't help but point out that this was in marked contrast to Berkeley's other rep, mayoral candidate Kriss Worthington, who counseled us and others to be happy with what we got and not rock the boat -- but I digress). I know I won't agree with Capitelli on everything (for example, he supports Measure S). But I trust him.

I have not had a similar opportunity to work with challenger Sophie Hahn. In 2008 I was disappointed by her (lack of) vision for Berkeley's downtown. Her website this time around gives no indication she's changed. As in 2008, she sounds like she has decent credentials and vision for the schools. But she's running for City Council. In response to a set of questions by the Northeast Berkeley Association, Hahn came across as very financially conservative, aligned with the "Berkeley SOS" and "Berkeley FACTS" groups trying to limit the city's ability to raise and spend money. She only reluctantly offered support of the street repair (Measure M) and pools (N & O) measures (both of which I support) and labeled herself a strong supporter of the misguided financial reporting measure (V). Since initially posting this, a friend put in a good word with me for Hahn, but I don't like what I've seen of her policy views.

Join me, the Sierra Club, Senator Loni Hancock, Assemblymember Nancy Skinner, and many others in supporting Laurie Capitelli for District 5.

No comments: