Sunday, October 12, 2014

YES YES YES on Alameda Measure BB: Crucial Transit Improvements

I support Measure BB because it would fund several vital improvements: restore cut bus service, start a new youth bus pass program, repair potholes, and make unprecedented investments for pedestrian and bicycle safety and infrastructure and for transit-oriented development. Yes, there are some concerns (particularly one project I don't support), but I think they pale in comparison to the good that can be achieved -- on balance, we'll all be much better off with Measure BB than without it. Yes, it is a sales tax, but the benefits will be used very progressively.

In my work life at TransForm, I worked hard to get this to be a good plan when it first went on the ballot in 2012 -- and lost by just 700 votes. For a longer explanation of why BB is a good idea, see the Yes on BB post I wrote for TransForm back in June.

This year, we got some improvements and gathered support from a much wider range of groups, including the Sierra Club and League of Women Voters, both of whom were neutral in 2012, but who now say YES on BB. There's also endorsements from lots of other groups I trust (Bike East Bay, formerly East Bay Bicycle Coalition), faith-based groups (Genesis), organized labor, United Seniors, and lots more.

If you're really cool, you can volunteer to help the campaign -- via Bike East Bay or the official Yes on BB campaign.

And if you're thinking of voting no, please post a comment or contact me directly!! Give me a chance to change your mind :-)

No comments: