Saturday, October 29, 2016

Federal, State, and Judge candidates

These are (mostly) easy. The competitive races are in bold: 
  • U.S. President and Vice President: Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine
  • U.S. Senator: Kamala Harris
  • U.S. Congress, 11th District: Mark Desaulnier
  • U.S. Congress, 13th District: Barbara Lee
  • CA State Senator, 9th District: Sandre Swanson
  • CA State Assembly, 15th District: Tony Thurmond
  • Alameda County Superior Court Judge, Office #1: Jackson

U.S. President and Vice President: Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine

I'm excited to vote for Hillary Clinton, and not just because I'm excited to vote for the first woman president. I'm also looking forward to this long national nightmare of an election being over. And ... if you don't already know how you're voting for President, I doubt my recommendation is going to make a difference. 

U.S. Senator: Kamala Harris

I endorsed Harris in the primary, I still like her, and ... unless something really strange happens, she's going to win.

U.S. Congress, 11th District: Mark Desaulnier

I've liked Mark since I met him as a Contra Costa Supervisor nearly 20 years ago. He's also got no serious opposition. 

U.S. Congress, 13th District: Barbara Lee

She still speaks for me ... and has no serious opposition.

CA State Senator, 9th District: Sandre Swanson


Both candidates (Sandre Swanson & Nancy Skinner) would be great State Senators who I would be proud to have represent me. I slightly prefer Swanson. He was Barbara Lee’s Chief of Staff during 9/11 (if you stood with Barbara Lee, you stood with Swanson too). As his bio says, he’s “passionate about the plight of at-risk and troubled youth.” We need more of that in Sacramento. 



Skinner is also good -- I’ve voted for and endorsed her before, she’s a strong environmentalist, she's sharp on policy, she's a neighbor, and she's probably going to win.  

But I think Swanson would bring an important voice to Sacramento. He’s also endorsed by Loni Hancock, the current State Senator for the 9th District. For more info, see Votersedge.org, Swanson's website, or Skinner's website. 

CA State Assembly, 15th District: Tony Thurmond

Tony is great and is going to win.  Vote for him. 

Alameda County Superior Court Judge, Office #1: Jackson

I strongly endorse Scott Jackson. He has an excellent professional background: law school professor, private practice, prosecutor in Alameda county, high school teacher, on the board of an organization that provides free legal aid to low-income people. As a trusted friend of mine (and colleague of Jackson’s) says, “he is also deeply (and sincerely) committed to issues of equality and fairness in the justice system.” I’ve met him -- he’s super smart. And, as his ballot statement says: “we need judges for who reflect our community’s diversity. Currently, only 6 of 72 Superior Court judges are African-American men.” Elect Jackson to make it 7. He’s got lots of great endorsements, including 15 judges. If you want a lawn/window sign or pamphlets, let me know and I can hook you up. 

No comments: