Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jeff's picks for June 2008 Election

As usual, I focus on the ballot measures and the down-ticket elected official races. And I don't give recommendations in uncontested races.

Full details are in individual posts. Please post comments with your opinions. They'll be particularly influential where I don't have a settled opinion.

And if you'd like opinions on other races, comment on that too.

PROPOSITIONS & MEASURES
NO NO NO on Prop 98: Stop the Hidden Agendas!
Yes on Prop 99 to put "eminent domain reform" to rest - but I'm open to opinions - see my writeup

Yes on Alameda Cty Msr F: Utility Users Tax Renewal

ELECTED OFFICIALS
State Senate, District 9: torn between Hancock & Chan; see writeup
State Assembly, District 14: Nancy Skinner; see writeup

14th AD, Ala Cty Democratic Ctrl Comm: Weinstein, Rosales, Moses, Irons, Flint, maybe Dooley
16th AD, Ala Cty Democratic Ctrl Comm: Paranjape, Briggs, Nishioka

Alameda Cty Sup Court Judge, Ofc 9: Dennis Hayashi

Oakland City Council, At-Large District: Rebecca Kaplan!

If you'd like to hear my opinions on another race, post a comment on this page.

3 comments:

pmarmite said...

Chan vs. Hancock


I don't think I would select either candidate on the basis of their platforms. There isn't much to choose between them. I am going to try to decide which one of them will provide more effective leadership in the Senate. For me, leadership means an ability to collaborate with other senators.


Right now I'm leaning towards Chan, because she has already been the leader in the Assembly, and to avoid the Berkeley tag associated with Hancock. I am really interested in any other cogent arguments.

Jeff Hobson said...

I agree that Chan's Majority Leader position is a big mark in her favor. I don't think Hancock suffers from the Berkeley tag, and her knowledge on issues makes a huge difference. But I'm curious: have you (or others) heard what others in the Senate think, besides Perata?

Anonymous said...

I agree, both Chan and Hancock are capable candidates and they have similar stances on most policy issues.

I am voting for Wilma Chan because she is very strong on children's issues (universal preschool, health care, eliminating toxics from toys, etc.) AND she seems much less focused on her personal political future and more interested in passing working with others to pass good legislation for Californians.

I have met and talked with both Wilma and Loni and eventhough I live in Berkeley, I am supporting Wilma Chan.