Sunday, June 3, 2012

Jeff's June 2012 Recommendations


State Propositions: see writeup for details
28: Yes for more sensible Term Limits
29: YES YES YES to reduce smoking and fund research

Local Measures
Alameda County
B: Yes for community college improvements (see below the jump for details)


Elected Officials:
First, the contested races:
- County Committee, 15th Assembly District: Arreguin, Ball, Barnett, Cohen, Echols, Kelley, Wheatley, Neal (see after the jump for details)
- Superior Court Judge, Office #20: Flanagan (see after the jump for details)


And then I'm voting pretty much the straight Democratic Party ticket, in races where the outcome is pretty certain anyway:
President: Barack Obama
U.S. Senator: Dianne Feinstein
U.S. Congress, 13th Congressional District: Barbara Lee
California Senate, 9th District: Loni Hancock
California Assembly, 15th District: Nancy Skinner
County Supervisor, 5th District: Keith Carson 

Follow to the jump for writeups on the county committee, judge, and education parcel tax ...
County Committee, 15th Assembly District (vote for up to 9): Arreguin, Ball, Barnett, Cohen, Echols, Kelley, Wheatley, Neal This is always a tough race to research, unless you're involved in Democratic Party politics. I am not. With 9 seats and 11 candidates, it is often easier to eliminate people than vote for them.


I am voting for only 8 candidates, even though you can vote for up to 9. I looked through the bios online at SmartVoter (see link). Then I reviewed endorsements from the Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club and East Bay Young Democrats. I decided to endorse these 8, all of whom are on WDRC's & EBYD's lists too, because they all look good. I'm particularly familiar with and positive about Echols and Arreguin.


I am not voting for Beverly Greene because there is no candidate statement for her in SmartVoter. She is on both WDRC's and EBYD's lists. 


Superior Court Judge, Office #20: Tara Flanagan
I based my endorsement on the statements on the SmartVoter website, on reading a thoughtful writeup by the Green Party, and finally by the fact that most other groups I trust who did endorsements also thought highly of Flanagan. Both Flanagan and Wiener look very good, but Flanagan looks a bit better.


Alameda County Measure B: Yes for community college improvements

On the pro side: This is tax measure to support education. No one submitted a ballot argument against it. Endorsers include many in the East Bay Democratic Party establishment, plus the Oakland Tribune and East Bay Express


On the cons: it is a parcel tax (so the payment is regressive). Alameda County Greens state concerns that the measure lacks specifics and accountability measures, and claims that "Peralta is notorious for ... lack of fiscal transparency." But I don't see those concerns echoed other places, and there does not appear to be any (other) organized opposition.

I'm voting Yes on B for community college improvements.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for these. I really could use advice about the Alameda County (I think that is the level) judge. Wellstone supported Flanagan, but we were given no reason except that other groups are doing it. Not a strong recommendation in my mind.

I will abstain on Feinstein. I would hope that others would also. She will win, but maybe she could hear that many of us expect more of her. I had an appoint last fall to speak with her staff about social security. "we all know that it is running out of money and causing the debt" we were told. Frightened us that her staff would say this.

Tom Lent said...

The Green Party has a very thoughtful assessment and endorsement of Flanagan. read it
http://acgreens.wordpress.com/voter-guides/

Unknown said...

Thanks again so much for these, Jeff! I wish you lived in So Cal still, to help us wade through the other local measures! ;)

Hope you and your family are well.
Shar