Friday, October 22, 2010

Local Measures: Berkeley + Alameda County

Summary of Local Measures
Alameda County
F: Yes for transportation improvements

Berkeley
H: Yes for Schools
I: Yes for Schools
R: YES YES YES for a better downtown
S: Yes
T: Yes

YES on F for transportation improvements
Okay, first off, does anyone disagree that our transportation system needs some improvements? Measure F would fill some potholes, provide some transit passes, clean the buses and BART trains, and support bike paths, sidewalks, and other changes to make it safer and easier to walk and bike. To pay for these improvements, Measure F would add $10/year fee to vehicle registration fees. At TransForm, we supported the legislation that allowed counties to put these measures on the ballot and we support Measure F along with the fees in other Bay Area counties. This is another example of the Bay Area stepping up to support governmental responsibilities when the state is dropping the ball. Vote Yes on F.

YES on H to keep schools safe and maintained
Measure H is a renewal of a tax passed 10 years ago, a tax whose revenues are still needed to keep our schools clean, safe, and well-maintained. I voted for the original tax 10 years ago and I expect I'll probably vote to renew it again in another 10 years. It needs a two-thirds vote to pass, and it draws support from the gamut of Berkeley's political spectrum -- Hancock to Dean to Hemphill. The opponents seem to have gotten their caps-lock keys stuck.

YES on I to improve Berkeley schools
Measure I would allow Berkeley's school district to issue $210 million in school bonds to make a host of improvements to Berkeley schools, such as elementary schools classrooms and high school labs. Importantly, it would provide local "matching" funds that help the district win state funds. This needs a 55% vote to pass, and it draws similarly widespread support.

YES YES YES on R for a better Downtown Berkeley
This one is so important to me, I wrote a special post all about it: http://caelections.blogspot.com/2010/10/yes-on-r-for-better-downtown-berkeley.html. Please -- read the ballot measure, read my writeup, don't believe the hype. Vote Yes on R.

YES on S to tax marijuana
Nobody was sufficiently unhappy about this measure to even file a ballot argument in opposition. It says we should tax medical marijuana at a (higher) more reasonable rate than we do currently (and is supported by the medical marijuana industry -- imagine that, an industry that wants to be taxed!). If Prop 19 passes, and non-medical marijuana becomes legal, it would tax that too. Sounds good to me.

Leaning YES on T to change rules on medical cannabis
This one does have some opposition. And I don't pretend to know that much about the details of this law, so I'm open to counter-arguments. But when I see that the entire City Council has agreed on something, it is hard for me to imagine I'm going to find it too offensive. So I'm leaning yes. If I'm missing the boat on this, please let me know.

No comments: