Monday, September 23, 2024

My Birthday Present

I gave myself a birthday present this past weekend: I went back up to Reno for a 3-day weekend of canvassing for Kamala Harris & Tim Walz (plus Jacky Rosen for U.S. Senate). I joined 98 other canvassers to knock on over 7,000 doors and have nearly 1,700 substantive conversations with voters. And I LOVED IT!


If you haven't read Kim & my post from our first trip (Sep 7-8), check it out here
This past Friday (Sep 20) I became a "team leader" and learned how to support a team of canvassers. I LOVED IT -- it was a wonderful cross between being a youth soccer coach (which I loved) and a manager at work (which I also love), all in the service of saving democracy (which again, I love). 

Saturday we had 99 canvassers in the field, including many total newbies, and Sunday we had nearly the same. 

We were inspired by our hosts, UNITE-HERE, the culinary/hospitality worker's union ...

... and by partners with SEIU United Service Workers Southwest:

We met some friendly voters, ...
"Vote Kamala - Removes Weird Orange Stains" & 
"Cat Ladies for Kamala"

... we dropped some literature, ... 

... and we found some divine help along the way:

Even the Trump voters taught me something, and I treasure the chances I've had to talk to undecided voters (they exist!). 

But most of all, I LOVED the teams I got to work with. 

Thank you Margalit, Nicole, Nathaniel, Allan, Olivia, Jacqueline, Leslie, Mark, Pedro, Myki, Minema, Cathy, Paul, Amy, Brigette, & Eleyna. I learned so much from you, I was so inspired by your wisdom, wit, and resilience, and I'm so proud of you. When We Fight, We Win!




If you like this, please consider doing something to help: 
  1. Donate to support more canvassing like this
  2. Learn about doorknocking in AZ, PA, MI, or WI
  3. Join me & Kim in Reno ("SeaHobs" pod): Oct 5-6 and Oct 18-20

No comments: